Pinterest

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Peanut Butter Oreos

I am several days late on this post!  This weekend we were going to visit my fiance's great aunt and uncle.  I wanted to bring something yummy for them.  I searched for something on the healthier side and easy to transport.  I settled on Chocolate Covered Katie's homemade peanut butter Oreos.  I went to Whole Foods to get a few of the ingredients I did not have.  I bought spelt flour, soy milk, coconut sugar and cocoa powder.  I had coconut oil, but did not have coconut butter.  It was $12 for a jar of coconut butter, so I decided to use Katie's alternative.   There are a few things I would do differently.  Katie does not specify how thick or big her cookies are.  I used the top of my cooking spray and that was probably too big.  I also would buy the coconut butter as I do not think the filling had enough moisture.  I am really not sure how you can roll out the dough without using flour as it is so sticky.  However, I think using the flower to roll out the dough made the cookies brittle.  So, the cookies were good, but I am a little disappointed.  I definitely recommend giving them a try!!!

Serving Size: Mine only made about 14 sandwiches, not the 20 to 25 Katie suggests


Cookies:
  • 3/4 cup spelt flour 
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
Filling:

  • 1/2 cup peanut butter 
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • a few tsp milk of choice  (I found that it absorbed the milk very quickly)
Combine first 5 ingredients, and stir well.

In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients for the cookies.  Make sure to MELT the coconut oil.  I just microwaved mine on high for 15 seconds (about 45 seconds total).  Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. 

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Put dough in a plastic bag, and smush into one big ball. Remove from bag, roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 11-14 minutes (depending on whether you want softer or crispier cookies). 


For the filling I just combined the ingredients into a bowl and mixed together with my hands.  I do not have a food processor, but if you did it would probably make it easier to create.

Here is the finished product! (not the best photo, sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment